Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Great Weekend #5

It's very hard to do a post after the cruise one. But, after three weeks, I guess it's time to move on :( But, speaking of the cruise, I spent much of this past Presidents weekend working on a scrapbook of the cruise. It will end up being 20 pages, and I only have 5 more to do, but I ran out of paper yesterday, and since I was incapicatated most of the day with a terrible kinked neck I didn't get out for more yet. I am home again today (when I'm forced to take a day off from exercising, you know something's wrong) with it still bothering me quite a bit, so I won't get out for more paper until hopefully tomorrow. It's been a lot of fun doing the scrapbook. Friday night was a highlight for Mike. One of his missionary friends who recently moved to Kaysville put together a mini-mission reunion for him, Mike, and two other missionaries (only one could make it) their wives and their mission president and his wife who now live in Farmington. All these four missionaries were assistants to the president, and all are from Cache Valley. We haven't seen any of them (except for one family about 11 years ago) since we were first married, and Mike hadn't seen his mission pres. since a reunion shortly after he returned from his mission in '84. Needless to say, Mike was very excited to see and talk to all these men. And the evening didn't disappoint. They spent three hours reminiscing about the good ole mission days (why were the wives invited? haha- actually their stories were quite interesting). Mike's mission president had a huge impact on him as a missionary, and Mike has often said that President Grant is one of the most influential men in his life. So I really loved being able to meet him and his wife because I've heard so much about them. Incidentally, President Grant was a teacher and athletic director at Ricks when I attended there, so we were able to talk about some teachers I had remembered well and that he knew well also. It was a fun night. We came home to visit with Dustin and Daelynn who were staying the night with us on a little weekend get-away to celebrate Dustin's 30th birthday. It was fun to see them for a bit and catch up on what's happening in their lives. I made what was supposed to be a yummy, fun Valentines day breakfast the next morning, but it turned out to be a disaster as I forgot to add the salt, baking powder, and soda to the pink pancakes. YUCK! And embarrassing! Luckily I figured it out before they left (but not before they choked them down) so I could sort of redeem myself from being a terrible cook. Jake and Cam went skiing/snowboarding for the day, so Mike and I did home projects and cleaning for the entire morning, then we went out for lunch at LaNonnes, an Italian restaurant we've been wanting to try. I had a delicious chicken pasta dish, but sadly, Mike's choice of potato dumplings was a big disappointment. He'll know better next time not to branch out with something he's never heard of. It worked well on the cruise- the only difference there being if you didn't like something, you could just order something different. Oh well, live and learn. That night we ordered our traditional heart-shaped pizza from Papa Murphys and spent the evening at home with the kids.

Sunday we had some of Mike's family over for a birthday dinner for Freda and Derek (Teresa's boy who turned 15 the next day). We had a fun evening eating, visiting, and trying to do some tricks that Rick taught us.








This is me and Teresa trying to pick up the paper bag with our teeth standing on one leg. Not so easy for tall people, but little Madelyn did great!



This is Jake balancing a penny on the hook of a wire hanger and trying to make it stay on while twirling it around- stopping it and twirling it around in the other direction. Again, not so easy, but fun to try.

Me with Mike's two sisters and my great friends- Teresa and Stacie.


It was a fun evening. It was nice to have Monday off and the day started out well enough with the kink in my neck for me to go to spinning, but then during pilates, it started bothering me enough that I had to leave early, and spend most of the rest of the day trying not to move. Luckily something like this didn't happen on a day (or days) when I needed to be active- like on the cruise!

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

That is a very fun weekend. It's so nice to be "friends" with your in-laws. I always feel for people who have horror stories as their inlaws. I am very worried about your neck, what could have happened?

Kylee said...

I think this is the first post of yours where everything is new to me. It sounds like you guys had a fun weekend! I'm sorry about the kink in your neck- I had one of those once and they are NOT fun.

p.s. I want to see the scrapbook of the cruise! i'm sure it's very cute!

tutus n bowties said...

I love to scrapbook memories! That's so good of you to do that so that your kids will be able to reminisce on the trip. Sorry we missed you last week...total bummer, but hopefully we will be down that way again.

Vonnie said...

Good report Lee. You guys never seem to lack for fun!

Anonymous said...

Those pancackes were actually quite good. I think you could be on to something. The problem is, I would be the only one to eat them if you made them again that way.

Jessica said...

Looks like lots o fun as usual! Sorry about the kink in your neck---hope that is all better now.

Susie2 said...

Have Mike try the Chicken Marsalla next time you're at Le Nonne - it's wonderful. We saw Jessica up skiing today. Is this a family sport? If so, we need to join you and Mike on the slopes.

Lee said...

susan- the chicken marsalla might be what I got. Is it smothered in a yummy gravy with mushrooms? Good recommendation. We will try eating there again. No, sadly skiing isn't a family sport. Although Mike and I do ski, it's not our favorite thing. The boys have a season pass, and go as much as possible, and Jess just got into it again this year after not being interested in going for the past 3-4 years. She'll buy a pass for next year, and has skis on her wish list for Christmas. How much do you and Chris get up there? I'm glad you had such a fun time in Mesa. Isn't staying @ the Skeens like being at a resort? I can't wait to go in a month.