Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Weekend

 This years Memorial Weekend has been much different than in years past.  This one has had a lot more work, and a lot less play.  I guess that's not a totally bad thing. . . Friday I helped Jake rearrange his room, something he hasn't wanted to do for several years.  He decided he was ready for a change though but this configuration was the only one he would consider, so we had to take the headboard off his bed (because the closet door wouldn't open with it on) and build up the area behind his pillows with old blankets so he can now put his pillow back an extra foot when he sleeps and has more leg room in his bed.  We bought him a floor lamp since his night stand wouldn't fit by the side of his bed, and he's all set.  He's so excited about it he's flipping out!  Haha (hence the trampoline shot. . .)  That night Mike and I went with Mom, Jamie and Rachel to my 4th production of Les Miserables.  I love that musical, but I have to say, I was a bit disappointed in this one.
 Saturday was a work outside day for most of the day for me and Mike.  Although since he got to bed so late because of Les Mis, and is coming down with yet another cold, he went back to sleep after getting Cam up for the paper route, and slept til 10:30.  He made up for his lazy morning by working until late outside getting the garden planted, lawn edged, volleyball net up, and several other projects.
 I got ambitious and cleaned out the garage refrigerator,  bought and planted some annuals, and made a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
Sunday we four went for a lovely 2 mile walk along the Logan River Trail near the Logan River Golf Course.  Mike and the boys had never walked along that trail, and they loved it.  The river was very full, and overflowing in some areas.  It was fun.  Came home for milkshakes and a viewing of Kung Fu Panda.
 This morning we hosted a breakfast for Mom, Gary,  Ann, the Romneys and Searles.  It was quite tasty if I do say so myself.  We had buttermilk pancakes, sausage, breakfast egg roll, hashbrowns, and granola/yogurt/fresh strawberries.  Too bad the weather was freezing (we actually woke up to SNOW) when we went out to Clarkston to the cemetery so we only stayed about 5 minutes.  It seems like that's the case most years on Memorial Day.  Enjoyed visiting with the Von, Rick and Andy for awhile, then Mike, the boys and I went to Kung Fu Panda 2.  Very enjoyable movie. We all really liked it.
Tomorrow the first day of our summer vacation starts!  Yee haw!

8 comments:

Annie said...

Your hair sure looked divine at breakfast! Loved the yummy meal and the cookies I helped myself to while you were at church:)

Nan said...

Fun Memorial Day without one complaint about the weather. You go girl! I saw Les Mis last week. I agree, I was a bit disappointed. Very good but not as good as the original. It moved too fast.

Joyce Anne said...

I "need" a cookie.

Vonnie said...

Thanks for the wonderful breakfast Lee and Mike! It was divine and even better was the long chat we had with you guys. Thanks!

Jessica said...

I am starting to miss all your fun weekends that you guys always have! Bummer about Les Mis. And Jake is a funny funny boy!

Carol said...

Breakfast was delicious - I am so jealous that you are out of school already...

Kylee said...

Crazy about the snow! Glad I missed it.. but sad I missed that great party and wonderful food! Those cookies look extra good for some reason, maybe because I'm hungry right now.

Lindsey said...

Ummm, your hair looks amazing in that last photo. So...you think 10:30 is a lazy morning? I do miss your cookies, but I do NOT miss Saturday chores and having a house to care for and work to be done. Blah!! Cute update though :)