Sunday, November 9, 2008

friend fun/latest sports/planning ahead & costumes

Jake and Cam are enjoying having two of their best friends, who are also brothers stay with us for 5 days while their parents are in China. Jake and Corey play football, do swimming and lacrosse together. Cam and Parker play on the same football team, but in the past have played on the same basketball, baseball and soccer teams as well. We enjoy their whole family, so it was easy to say yes when my friend Janae asked me if they could stay with us. Coincidentally, Janae came to our house in Rupert one weekend over 30 years ago when her friend Margie came with her brother Rick to visit his girlfriend (or maybe fiancee at that time)-my sister Von. Crazy huh? It was really fun when we put that together soon after we became friends when the Lester family moved to Logan about 8-9 years ago. Freshman football got over on a Thursday, and Jake started swim practice three days later, practicing everyday for 1 1/2-2 hours. He's already had two swim meets and has done well. This is him in his first 50 meter free. (He's in lane 2.)
Cam is playing on a Jr. Grizz basketball team and also a super-league team which has games once a week in Brigham City. So he has a practice a week for each team, plus 2-4 games a week. This week he will resume football practices three times a week to prepare for the Thanksgiving tournament he'll be playing in for the third year in Brigham City. It's always so fun to go watch the boys in their sports.


I had a great idea Halloween weekend when we were enjoying an unusually warm 70 degree Saturday that Mike would sure enjoy hanging the Christmas lights that day rather than wait a month and do it on a 30-40 degree day like he usually does. He was very glad for the suggestion, and 10 minutes later was up on a ladder. I spent the time he did that putting lights on the bushes, raking, and pruning the perinnials.


I thought Jessica looked so cute as Elphaba from "Wicked." She dressed up for the halloween party at work- a daycare. She didn't scare any of the little kids too badly, although one of the kids a week later made some comment about her witches costume- so maybe she did give some of them nightmares!



OK- so this is my least creative costume I've ever been associated with. I just can't get into providing a fun costume when kids go trick-or-treating past the age when I think it's appropriate. I really have come up with some very cute costumes in my time- maybe I'll do a post of them sometime in the future.



7 comments:

Stu and Alyssa said...

ha I love the costumes! I have to say getting those lights up is smart. I bet it is hard to do them with snow and ice. I am so jealous you have a tai pan by you. We are hoping they put one in az, but until then i guess when we go visit stu's family that is a must stop on the way home!

Annie said...

I must have those green gloves. Good on ya for getting the lights up. Have fun with all the boys!

Vonnie said...

Mike is scaring me up on that ladder!!! We got our lights up too. Rick just climbs on the roof and hooks them on. Either way, it isn't risk free! The things we do to celebrate the season. That's nice your could help Janea and take her boys. I'll get your boys had a great time with them. Is that green paint on Jessica's face, arms and legs. Wow, she is brave! Look good though.

Jamie Jo said...

What do you think is too old for trick or treating? I say once you leave elementary school you are too old...and rather desperate. The only way you could do it without shame is if you have a small sibling with you.

Kylee said...

I forgot that whole thing with Janae in Rupert. That's so random! And hey, I had that idea to put up the lights when it was warm a lot time ago! But I haven't even done it either. I should, I haven't even thought about it yet. How come the worm game didn't work on my blog? There's an advertisement first, did you wait till after that?

Anonymous said...

Great suggestion on getting the lights up. It's the first year I haven't been grumbling about it.

Lindsey said...

You MUST do a post on past Halloween costumes. that Elpeba was awesome! I'm really looking forward to the production, even if just to get out and have a girls night. I never commented on how great I think Jake is. I loved learning new things about him. He is truly unique and just a great chracter in your family.