Tuesday, January 6, 2009

School Scrapbooks

One of the things I was most excited about this Christmas was giving the kids these school scrapbooks I secretly made over the past two months. For all their Elementary and Middle School years, I've been saving some of their papers and drawings. I sifted through them all- one paper at a time- threw most of them away, and kept what went into the books plus several bins full. Kids bring home a lot of "stuff." When saving in the first place, be selective, because no one has room to store every bit of paper brought home- as important as they seem at the time. They each got a book full of the cream-of -the-crop (2-6 pages per year- most years 4). They loved looking through the books on Christmas morning remembering some things, but not others. We had a great time laughing over their spelling, stories, and pictures. The following is a page from each book. I recommend to all you mom's out there with small children to think about doing something like this in the future. It doesn't have to be fancy (as everyone knows, I'm not a big scrapbooker) since all they care about is their work.









10 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

Those are very cute. There most be something to be said for hanging on to things. Kid, I like to downsize too much. I might have one small box of a few things, but I think I threw out most. I have a box of that kind of stuff in my shed of mine. Why?

Vonnie said...

You've taken a pile of "keepsakes" and turned it into something memorable. Way to go! Most moms don't get to that point and just get tired of seeing all thse treasure sit around and then they just throw it out. I saved a lot too and just put the treasures in plastic pages in binders through the years. They don't look at good as yours, but at least our kids have a few treasures to keep.

Annie said...

I'm like Von, I saved treasures in a bin and like Jamie stated, I think some of the girls have gotten rid of it. That's not right! Can't wait to see your books:)

Kylee said...

I think that was my most favorite present of the whole season!

Jessica said...

What a cute and creative present--however I'm not really surprised--you always have something good up your sleeve!

Nic said...

Kylee's comment says it all, can't beat that! I now have a purpose to my folders full of "stuff"

tutus n bowties said...

How priceless! I would love a gift like that. My mom has saved stuff like that boxes and just recently gave everyone theirs. I wasn't there when she did, but I heard it was a fun little party. I will have to make a book out of mine!

Lindsey said...

That is such a great idea. I'm glad I know about it now so it can be something I can start early on. But I think I will save it and not give it to my kids until their older, like yours are. Good one :)

Jenny said...

I've only been saving the best, but still haven't done anything. What a good idea. I have to wait for Holden to look away before I can throw most of his stuff away. Owen will actually pull it out of the garbage and get mad at me. Little pack rats.

Jord said...

What a fun gift! You are such a good saver of important things and I'm sure your kids will love them. I am remembering another collection of yours...that of strange wedding invites and would love to see a few of those again too!