Friday, March 6, 2009

Fun Phone Call

My 30 year high school class reunion is coming up this summer (please tell me you find that hard to believe. . .) and I've been thinking about it and wondering when I will get some information about it in the mail. Last night the phone rang while I was saying goodnight to Jake, so Cam answered it and brought it in to me. The female voice on the other end said that she was calling from the Minico class of '79 class reunion planning committee and they wondered if I would be willing to come "out of the closet" and admit that I wasn't really one of the four valedictorians of our senior class. Before I explain what that's about, just let me say when I heard the phrase "come out of the closet" I was thinking she wanted me to admit to something very different than what she was talking about. Haha. Anyway- to explain why I was perceived to be a valedictorian, when in fact, I was not (are valedictorians grateful for a D- in Biology? I think not.) Somehow, by NO planning on my part, in our senior year year-book, my picture was somehow put in place of the real valedictorian, a girl named Becky. Her name is under my picture, but still, it's my picture! All that hard work for her for three years, then she doesn't even get the honor of having her picture on the page of valedictorians. It was very upsetting for her, and I must say she was understandably mad about it (and even took her anger out on me a little-- again, I had nothing to do with it!) So, over the years, I've had fun tricking people (including my family) into thinking I really was smart in high school! The phone call last night turned out to be from Cari, one of my best friends from high school who was calling to let me know when the reunion was, and to mess with my mind a little. I am looking forward to attending the reunion in July and hopefully seeing some people I didn't get to see 10 years ago at our 20th reunion. I'm sad that I don't see many of my classmates very often. The one I see the most is a teacher at LHS, and both girls had him as a government teacher. Should I coax Mike into going with me, or just go it alone? Should I start dieting now or wait a few more months? Haha- just kidding. I'm actually doing good now getting my holiday and cruise weight gain off.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

You are Johnny on the spot with your update.

Have you joined facebook? You'd be surprised how many people my parents age are on there. I've found tons of people I went to highschool with. It's kind of nice to get caught up that way. No akward staring trying to figure out if that really is the person they say they are under all the face fat and wrinkles. (I do realize you are much younger than my parents.)

Also, I was the Dance Sterling Scholar with a 3.4 GPA. (Nobody else applied.)

Kylee said...

That's funny! I don't think I ever knew about that. Sad for that other girl though. I'm scared of high school reunions (and facebook too for that matter) because I'm worried that it will be so awkward to see all these people you haven't seen or talked to for so long!! And I haven't even been out for 4 years yet! Sad huh.

Annie said...

LOL. I say brown your teeth up, gain some weight and buy a wiglet...wait...borrow mine:)

Jessica said...

How funny! And to think she took it out on you--like somehow you snuck in to the yearbook room and switched the pictures or something.

Lindsey said...

That's a way funny story. I especially like the D grade honesty, it makes me like you more. I was voted "biggest flirt" and "best dressed," neither of those leave one thinking much of my character or priorities. Our ten year reunion is this summer. It's in June when I'm 9 months prego, so clearly it's out. But perhaps we'll make the 20th. I would say to spare Mike from going, especially if you have a friend to hook up with.

Vonnie said...

That is so funny Lee. I don't remember knowing about that fun fact. I'm glad you have milked it for all it was worth! I had a blast at my 30th. I also organized a 30 year seminary reunion that was very fun and successful for the following Sunday evening. That was more fun than the actual HS reunion...still too much drinking going on there for my taste. If you have friends to go with, I'd spare Mike unless he knows some of the other husbands and has someone else to talk to. You'll be very busy.

Stacey said...

Funny how you look even better now! I like you more blond. Take Mike if you feel like you want a quick get away and don't want to socialize, otherwise go unattatched and stay as long as you want. Use your cell phone to get out of an awkward converstation.

tutus n bowties said...

I love it! I can't wait for my ten year and it's still four years away. Question for ya...have you stayed in good touch with you highschool friends? I'm trying my best with that one myself. Do you know where they are going to have it at yet?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I won't be able to go to your reunion. I think that's the night I'm scheduled to clean our toilets. Maybe next time though:)

Claire said...

Hi Lee! This is Claire...Kane.(one of your old Young Women). I loved looking at your blog...hope you don't mind. I linked to it from Stacie's. You and your family are so cute! And I can't believe you are having your 30 year reunion! you look great! I hope I look that good when it comes time for mine :) Have a great time.