Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Our green dinner. We also had a fun green breakfast. I love St. Patricks Day! Oh, and happy birthday to Sydney!

I found a cute story last year and read it to the kids on St. Patricks Day, then I had hid a paper shamrocks and a pot of gold around the house. They went on a treasure hunt, and got a prize for finding the hidden treasures. The shamrock prize was a box of lucky charms, and the pot of gold was a bag of chocolate coins- "gold." They loved it! So I thought I'd share the story if anyone would like to do this with your family. Have fun!

LEPRECHAUNS

The Irish people tell stories about tiny people no bigger than your little finger. These little people are called leprechauns. Leprechauns are very smart. They are full of tricks. They live in the woods, where they gather gold and bury it. It is very hard to see leprechauns because they run and hide when humans are around. The Irish say that if you can catch a leprechaun, you can make him tell you where his gold is buried. Then you will be richer than all the kings on the earth. But watch out for tricks!

Jack was a boy who wanted to be rich. He was sure he could catch a leprechaun and find out where his gold was. Jack waited and watched, and watched and waited ever so quietly in the woods. Day after day, he watched and waited. At last, one day he saw a tiny man with long white hair and a long white beard. He swooped his hand over the leprechaun and zap! The leprechaun was caught! "Let me go, human!" shouted the leprechaun in a tiny voice. Jack held him safely inside his two hands. The leprechaun struggled and kicked furiously. "First, tell me where your gold is buried." said Jack. "Yes, yes. I will tell you," said the little man. It is buried under a tree. Just walk where I tell you and I will show you.

So Jack walked deep into the woods with the leprechaun. They came to a place where the trees were very close together. The leprechaun pointed to a tree and said, "Here. My gold is buried under this tree." Now Jack knew that this was true, because leprechauns never tell lies. But it was a very plain tree. It looked the same as all the other trees around it. "I will have to go home to get a shovel," said Jack, "but I don't want to forget which tree the gold is under." He had a yellow scarf around his neck. He took the scarf off and tied it around the tree. "You must promise me that you won't take my yellow scarf off this tree," Jack said to the leprechaun. "I promise," said the leprechaun. "Now let me go."

Leprechauns are tricky, but Jack knew that they always had to keep their promises. So he knelt down to the ground. He opened his hand and let the little fellow go. The leprechaun ran off into the woods and was quickly out of sight.

Jack ran as fast as he could to get a shovel. He was very excited and happy. He found a shovel and ran back with it into the woods. Soon he would be richer than any king on earth, he thought.

But when he got to the deep part of the woods, wehre the trees were close together, what do you think he saw? Every tree had a yellow scarf tied around it, exactly like his own scarf. Hundreds and Hundreds of trees. Thousands of trees. As far as he could see, every tree had a yellow scarf tied around it.

Jack's mouth hung open. Tears came to his eyes. Which tree was the gold buried under? There was no way that he could dig under all of those trees. So Jack very sadly went home. He was one more person who had been tricked by a leprechaun.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I loved the story! I also love the idea of the treasure hunt. Sadly, it is 7:30pm and too late to worry about for this year, but there is always next, right?

tutus n bowties said...

Thanks Lee! I LOVE this day and I'm so glad you shared this story! Tell Cam happy Bday. I forgot that he is the same age as my niece Bailey. How fun!