Wednesday, August 26, 2009

rain destruction/1st day of school

A few years ago for Christmas, the Raymonds gave us an awning to use in our backyard. We thought it would be fun, but decided it would be in the way of mowing and watering the grass, so we put it in the garage and didn't really think of it until this summer when Mike remembered it and suggested we set it up and see if it would fit over our patio furniture and give us some shade. Sure enough, it fit perfectly, so we moved our swing under it too (since I had ruined the shade covering for that a few weeks earlier) and we were set! (awww- look at cute little Sal :)
I loved the look, it provided great shade, and we really enjoyed it for about two months. Our fear was that with the first strong windstorm, it would blow away, but it withstood several of those with no problem. Then came the rain. . . This past Sunday and Monday morning, it rained here like I haven't seen or heard since I don't know when. At 4:00 in the morning Monday as I lay in bed listening to it pour, I just knew our fun little covering would be no more. Sure enough, when we got up, here is what we saw. . .

Several of the bars were bent, and there was just no salvaging it. It was so sad to just junk it.


So now we're on the lookout for something similar, since we can't go back to a bare patio. Please be on the lookout with me.

The kids started back at school this week, as well as me back at work for my 4th year at Mount Logan Middle School as an ESL aide from 12-3 every day. It was tough for all of us to give up the fun, carefree days of summer- but it must be done.

Here is Jess starting her Sophomore year at USU
This is Jake's Sophomore year at LHS.
And Cam is a big 8th grader at MLMS. Make it a great year kids!

9 comments:

Stacie said...

GOOD LUCK IN SCHOOL KIDDIES! Thats too bad about that cute awning since your on the look out if you find one let me know! I would love one! (ps I know your way surprised to hear from me hear on blogspot)

Jessica said...

That rain was crazy! The power went off at Tom and Freda's and when it came back on the lamp in the room turned on and totally freaked us out! I saw a cute awning at rc willey for only 99 bucks a couple weeks ago---don't know if they still have em but worth a shot!

Kylee said...

Oh sad!!! I loved that thing, I thought it was so cute! I thought for sure the wind would do it, but I guess rain is stronger. Do you think if you had poked holes in the top the water would have drain out....?

Lindsey said...

BUMMER! I loved that tent, it was so charming. This is a good time of year to be looking for another one. What about KSL? You could probably find one on there. I love the pictures of the kids on the first day of school, and I like that you have one of Jess as well :)

Mike said...

To answer Kylee's question, it was made with a few holes in the top, but apparantly they weren't in the right locations. Too bad!

Stacey said...

Sad, I can't believe you got that much rain so soon. Atleast you had a good run with that awning. But it'll be some money to replace. Two days till school!

tutus n bowties said...

Lee, your kids are so dang cute and your boys are growing up to be such studs! I always loved the first day back to school...probably just because of the new outfit.

Vonnie said...

Too bad about the great sun cover. Maybe you'll have to invest in another one next summer. I'm still in shock over the dog.

Jamie Jo said...

Sad about that cute awning.