Sunday, June 6, 2010

Jakes Eagle Project

Jake's almost three month long Eagle Project came to an end on Thursday. It was so fulfilling to see how it turned out and to have been a part of it from the start. I'm proud of Jake and how hard he worked on it and how willing (for the most part) he was to do what he needed to. He wasn't afraid to talk to people, make phone calls, and do whatever else Mike told him to do. Mike did a great job working with him on almost every little detail, and keeping it all going. Jake lined up 4 pickups and two trailers to deliver the 61 bikes to the apartments buildings where the Burmese people live. It was so cool to arrive there to see probably about 100 people waiting there for them. The lady he had worked with (and who suggested this project to our bishop, who is the President of the Rotary club in Logan) at the English Learning Center had lined up the Herald Journal to come and do a story about it. It was great to see Jake being interviewed and photographed, and to hear him talk to the crowd of people (through an interpreter) to explain why he had done this project and where the bikes had come from. It was also really neat to see the happy looks on the faces of the adults and kids who got bikes as they picked out the one they wanted and then rode it around. It was a happy day for them. And for me to arrive home and be able to park my car in the garage after not being able to for the past two weeks as that's where we've been storing the bikes that had been fixed up. Way to go Jake! And good job Mike on spending many, many hours with Jake on this project.

An article about it appeared in the newspaper today. To check it out, click here.



9 comments:

Kylee said...

yay for us having the same blog post!!

Jenny said...

I saw the headline but didn't click on it. I thought I read about it somewhere, now I remember where.

Nan said...

That's quite an accomplishment. Go Jake (and go Lee because these projects wouldn't happen without the mom)

Annie said...

One of the few VERY great eagle projects. Your whole family showed wonderful support.

Lindsey said...

What a good kid. I hope you know how lucky you are. Sorry we never ever helped :( I hope we're not off the list forever. I'll make up for it when I line Jake up with this fabulous girl when he gets off his mission ;) LOVE that you get the check from your insurance and love your Memorial day fun.

Vonnie said...

That is so cool. Congrats to Jake and his team of helpers. What a worthwhile project!

tutus n bowties said...

You seriously have such great kids! Way to be the man Jake.

Stacey said...

I'll want a full report from Jake with Griffin in the room!

Jord said...

What a wonderful project! I am so proud of him and you guys for helping out. An aside- On first blush I thought that reporter was me...just a look alike maybe.