Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Family Vacation

We got home a few days ago from the most divine family vacation to Washington and Oregon. We had the BEST time. I absolutely loved every minute of the trip. It was great to all be together as a family for the last time in awhile, as Jessica left from Portland to fly back east to nanny for the rest of the summer at the end of our trip, and Ky and Brody will probably be back in Arizona by the time she gets home. There's lots to tell, and many pictures to show, so I'll break it down into days: First off, I have to tell about the incredible home the Lakes bought 6 months ago. It is so fabulous! We stayed in "the loft" above the three car garage. It's a deluxe two bedroom, one bathroom and bonus room that was just perfect for our family (although Jessica slept in little Brody's room and Cam slept in Griffins room). It was so great to have our own space, and to enjoy the comfy, inviting and beautiful home Todd and Stacey have created.

DAY 1
We were so happy to spend the first four days of our vacation with the Lake's in Vancouver. They really rolled out the red carpet for us. They had so many fun activities planned, and great food to go along with it. Stacey and I started off the day with a brisk walk along a gorgeous lake and around a golf course and extremely nice neighborhood. For anyone who knows how fast I like to walk, Stacey is the only person who has ever been a faster walker than me. I was having to jog every 20 or so steps to keep up with her. It was great though. We grabbed Mike, Kylee and Brody and all went back to the same course and beyond on bikes. It was great, and a good warm up for the rest of the day. We loaded 12 bikes up on a trailer behind Todd's truck and headed off to a beautiful park along the Columbia river for a Martha Stewart picnic. Stacey sure knows how to make a normal picnic extraordinary with a few special touches (I got harrassed on our picnic at Cannon beach when we were without the Lakes for not having fresh potted flower centerpieces like Stacey. . .). We spent the next few hours riding our bikes around downtown Portland. It was so great, and a fun way to see the city. When we got back from Portland, even though the temp was only in the 60's, most of the kids jumped in the Lake's unheated pool- but didn't stay in too long. . .

DAY 2
Todd had to work all day, so Stacey joined me, Mike, Kylee and Brody on a 6 hour adventure in Portland. Jessica stayed behind to take care of the kids. We stopped for 45 short minutes at the most awesome antique store ever called Monticello. You really need 2 or 3 hours there to see all there is to see. We then went to the beautiful Portland temple. It was breathtaking.


After the temple, we headed to Saturday market- mostly to get an "elephant ear" something that Lindsey said her dreams are made of. I can see why now. It was a HUGE (Ky and I shared) piece of sugar/cinnamon covered scone for the bargin price of $3.50. We walked around the market for 45 minutes before heading back to the Lakes. Ky and I each bought a cute purse.
That evening we had yet another delicious meal and played some fun games. I started sewing some curtains for Stacey to go in her living room.

DAY 3
Father's Day. The only day of rain on our whole trip. We (all 13 of us) still went on a beautiful short hike near their house, then came back for a big breakfast and church at 1:00. After a yummy Sunday dinner, we played more games, then I did more sewing.
DAY 4
Everyone but the three littlest Lake kids went on the most gorgeous, breathtaking, spectacular hike I've ever been on to Multnomah Falls. It was amazing. I just couldn't take it all in. I loved every step of the 5 miles. Todd and Mike took all the kids boating when we got home, and I hung out with Stacey and the Brody's and did mending and hemming. I'm so happy I could be useful and do something for Stacey that she didn't want to do for herself (not that she couldn't have. . .) That evening we had some tasty s'mores in their backyard.

Day 5
We left the Lakes on Tuesday morning for three days on our own. We stopped by the ROSE GARDEN's in Portland on our way to Cannon Beach. They were so gorgeous. It was a feast for the eyes, that's for sure. I'm so glad we made this detour.



When we got to Cannon Beach, we had a picnic lunch at Ecola State Park, then hung out on Indian Beach for about 3 hours. The weather was beautiful, and we all enjoyed playing around the water looking for sea creatures, climbing over rocks, playing in the sand, playing frisbee, and playing in the water (only Cam and Jake were brave enough).




We got checked into our cute little cottage, then walked a block down to the beach near haystack rock and played some more before heading out to dinner at Mo's. It was a great setting for a restaurant and we enjoyed our meal very much.


After dinner, we made a fire on the beach and had s'mores. It was great! The weather was perfect, and we really enjoyed sitting on our log eating and talking until well after dark. What a perfect setting for such a fun activity.

DAY 6
Before checking out at noon, we spent a bit more time on the beach. We all played frisbee and the four kids got up to their necks in the freezing ocean and had a great time.



We then walked around the main street of Cannon beach for several hours shopping, eating lunch, and doing a fun scavenger hunt Stacey planned for us. It was a perfect day. Drove to Seattle at stayed the night at a motel. Went out to eat at Chipotle and walked around a cool outdoor mall.

DAY 7
Spent about 6 hours walking around Seattle. Saw the spaceneedle, walked through the Seattle Aquarium and Pikes Place Market. Ate a delicious seafood lunch at Ivors. A tiring, but fun day.
Got back to the Lakes that night at 9, and left the next morning for home.




It was sad to leave for home without Jessica, but I know she'll have a wonderful experience being on her own for two months. I loved being with my family 24/7. I have some very cherished memories of our time together. Thanks so much to the Lakes for being such fun hosts. We had such a great time with you.




7 comments:

Stacey said...

I want to go on this vacation. When can I book a stay?!?! Loved the pics you girls took and all the nice words. I was waiting for a picture of my curtains and of you sewing them...since that did entail many hours of your trip! Thanks again. We had a great time too!

Kylee said...

Good post mom, I'm glad you finally got it done! :) Thanks again for such an awesome vacation!

Jessica said...

What a fun trip. I found a couple more pictures that I don't have so I'll have to call you tonight to tell you which ones they are. Thanks!!

Vonnie said...

The daily recap was great and the photos are amazing. Great times!

Lindsey said...

Well it's about hmm time! I LOVE all the photos. Very fun and clever ideas in some of them. Thanks for getting an elephant ear, I'm so glad you liked it!

Nan said...

You have sure been making a lot of memories for your family! This looks like a fabulous trip. Thanks for sharing.

Nic said...

What a beautiful trip! I've always thought I could live in Washington with all that green, but am too addicted to the sun to find out! Great pics and documenting journal girl ;)