Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day weekend

We have had a really fun-filled Labor Day weekend.  I uploaded my pictures in the wrong order, so I'll start with today and go backwards.  This morning, we ate a delicious big breakfast at home, then went on a fun bike ride along the Logan river trail.  Jake missed out because he had to work on the last day the Aquatic center was open.  He felt really bad about it---- we then joined the Ericksons, Caspersons, Petes and Bundys at the Skeens for lunch and some games and visiting.  We dropped by the Griffin farm on the way home to show Brad around, and came away with some good produce from the garden.  We stopped for a Zeppe galata on their opening day.  We're so excited they're in Providence now.

We had a fun time going swimming to the Logan pool after a hot day of camping/hiking.  It was extra fun that Jake was working, especially when he got to catch the little kids coming down the twirly slide.We had a great time camping with everyone we were with today with the addition of Carol, Tanner and Taylor for a few hours.  Friday night we ate delicious tin foil dinners, and played ultimate frisbee in the pitch dark.  It was a little crazy, but fun.  On Saturday, we played more games, and went for a hike to Rosys mine.
We had a never-to-be-forgotten experience seeing a rattlesnake in real life.  After our hike on Saturday, we were driving back to our campground, and the kids could hear the snake in the rocks off to the side of the road.  We stopped to check it out and take pictures.  The camp host came before long with his shovel, and we got to watch while he wacked the snakes head off and buried it, (since the snake can still bite 24 hours after he's been decapitated!  Who knew?) then he cut his rattler off and gave it to Caleb.  The snake body was still moving for an hour afterwards.  It was quite the show!  The picture below the kids in the pickup is when we first saw the snake, and the one on top is after he'd been tortured.

After such a great weekend, it will be extra hard to get back in the swing of school and work tomorrow!

7 comments:

Dani Em said...

Looks like you had an awesome weekend!! I would have peed my pants if I had been by that snake! haha were you there at ward prayer the night that those girls brought their THREE HUGE pet snakes?? um I almost had a heart attack!

Jessica said...

Dang, I thought for sure I would be the first one. That was a very fun weekend. Snake was for sure the high light, even though I am deathly afraid of them. Thanks for all the fun memories that I'll remember forever. I sure am glad I was not at that ward prayer that Dani was talking about, I would have cried.

Lindsey said...

Fun fun times! Glad we had nice weather for camping. Extra glad you watched Lydia at the pool so I could have fun myself...that hasn't happened all summer that I actually enjoyed the pool :)

Kylee said...

Looks and sounds like a lot of fun! Wish we could have been there. We did the same thing, just not together (well the camping part anyway). At least we're on the same page! I want to go camping at that spot sometime. It looks really cool. Lydia looks so different already, how is that? Crazy about the rattlesnake. Glad you're back into the swing of things. We're just starting today.

Nan said...

As Dan and I were riding home from our ride on Monday morning I thought I saw you guys on mountain bike. Looks like you had a great weekend.

Lindsey said...

I was scrolling through your blog, have I missed something? Who is that beautiful little girl who seems to be in every blog post? Weird. I don't see her on anybody else's blog. Surely she must be blood, why else would you guys love on her so much? Sad for her that she will some day be cast aside and forgotten when real blood comes along....ahhh, the circle of life.

Vonnie said...

Looks like fun. The snake was creepy though. Good times!