Sunday, June 1, 2008

Jessica's graduation

Jessica's graduation from Logan High School was this last week. We had some fun family activities leading up to Thursdays graduation. Monday night the Weyerts, Raymonds and Nelsons came over for a graduation party. We had fun eating, playing "who knows Jessica best." Besides Kylee who got all 10 questions right, and Mike who got 9 right Freda came out as the winner with 9/10 right and Teresa a close second with 7 right. Impressive! We then opened gifts and watched Jessica's DVD of pictures throughout the years set to music that Kylee created (with Jessica's help scanning all the pictures). It was a great evening. Wednesday night was the traditional "candlelight" where there is a speaker in the LHS auditorium, then the seniors go around to four different places around the outside of the school and have 4 short seniors share some memories. They all have a candle to light their way as it was dark by then. It's a cool tradition. The parents/families just trail along- visiting with each other mostly and not listening to the talks. . . then there are lots of opportunities for pictures since there aren't really any after graduation the next night because they have to turn in their caps and gowns immediately after it's over.

On graduation day, we had a repeat party with a different cast. This time the Ericksons, Gary, Ann, Searles, Jamie, Ryan and Millie, and Sara and boys joined us for the same festivities that we did on Monday night! Aren't two parties always funner than one, then there's no MIXING- my pet peeve- as you all know. We had a great time with everyone who came. Mike, Jessica, Cale (who joined in the party too) and I all left for the 2 hour graduation at the Kent Concert Hall at USU.
This is the T-shirt quilt I made her with shirts she's worn over the years- mostly in high school. I had the depressing realization that all the t-shirts I had been saving since 1st grade had somehow vanished, so I had to go with what she had in her drawers--- very upsetting. It was a great week, and we're so proud of Jessica for this milestone in her life. Way to go Jess!
Once again my minimal skills on the computer are prohibiting me from figuring out how to turn this quilt right side up. Sorry!

12 comments:

Jord said...

Congrats to Jessica! I can't believe she is out of HS already. She is a beautiful girl and I'm glad you all lived it up.

Vonnie said...

It sounds like you had a fun week. I love HS graduation week. It is such a fun time for the grad, friends and family. The quilt turned out great! I love that idea as well. Way to go Jessica!!!!

Annie said...

You did the girl proud with your parties and gifts. Having my girls leave public school was always a much longed for day. Life really gets good after 12th grade. Remind me when you come on Wed. to show you how to rotate pictures. It's easy!

Kylee said...

When I was looking at those pics of Jess at Graduation I almost thought for a split second that you got the pictures mixed up and put one of me in there! I guess we really do look a lot alike!

Stacey said...

I think the "no mixing" is a grand idea. I don't have to deal with that so much, but when my family does come to town it's usually for a few days and an occasion of some sort (baptism, blessing) and so mixing has to take place. Sad about the t-shirt loss. That reminds ME to start saving. That is one thing that kind of "came out" after I had graduated and would have loved to have. I've been saving shirts from Todd and I and want to make an anniversary quilt someday.

Jessica said...

Hooray for Jessica! Congrats! Can I ask why its such a bad thing to mix? I've never quite understood that? To each her own I guess :)

Lee said...

jessica- i'm a small group person and when you have mixing it is usually with too many people. also if i don't know the other side of the family people, i don't really want to be outgoing and get to know them, i just want to talk to my own family since i usually don't see them that often and want to catch up with them. since it ends up being segregated anyway- why not just have two parties! that way the hosts aren't torn by which side of the room/house to be on! i know it's not practical with some events and i understand that, but when it can be avoided- i'm all for it! i may be crazy, or normal- i don't really know. maybe i'll do a survey about it!

Joyce Anne said...

Lee..I need to talk to you about that quilt you made for Jessica. I have enough t-shirt squares from Kelli's softball all star days to make a quilt that would cover a football field. Since they are knit, did you iron them on to some kind of backing or do they hold their shape well enough without? I have been going to make this quilt since she graduated and that was 12 years ago. Don't judge me....I have good intentions. I think I will pull those squares out and aim for Christmas.

By the way, I tried both the Ginger and Chocolate Chip cookies. So good....So good. I know you are much younger and we probably just ignored you, (now you have the last laugh cuz you "are" younger) but do you remember the vinager taffy Mary Ann and I use to make almost every Sunday afternoon? We would always set it out on the freezer by the boys bathroom to cool off. I tried it last year and... not so much....Not sure if I did it wrong or if memories just fail me.

Jessica said...

Lee,

Thanks for helping me to understand your perspective. It makes sense in a lot of ways. Two parties has always meant 2 times the work, effort, clean up to me--but I appreciate that insight. Thanks! :)

Stacie said...

WOW I cant believe lil Jessica has graduated.. Your quilt is soo cute. I like these traditions you are starting for your kids. Such a creative girl you are.. By the way I LOVE your hair..

Lee said...

Joyce- wow! you read my blog! that's so sweet of you. I'm glad you like the cookies~ they're my weakness. no, i don't remember that taffy- sounds like that's a good thing! no, there is nothing under the t-shirts- just batting between that and the back material. it's tricky to match the edges with all the different sizes of t-shirts, but you could possibly cut all the t-shirts the same size and make it easier on yourself! good luck with that! let me know when you get it done and how it went!

Nic said...

Lee! I'm so glad you found me!! I just read your entire blog! So fun to see how everyone has grown up :) I think the key to me being a happy babysitter was the fact that your famous cookies were always available to me in your freezer! That really brought back memories....I chose this post to leave a comment on because the quilt you made Jessica is my dream quilt. I plan on collecting tons of shirts from running events to make an awesome quilt like this one! Such a great idea, but can i send you my shirts since i lack in the sewing/quilt tying department? ha,ha,ha. And, fun idea for all the shirts my kids have collected/will collect over the next few years. Seeing your family makes me happy, you are all BEAUTIFUL!