Tuesday, June 10, 2008

my passion for journal writing


My passion for journal writing began in 1976 when I was 15 years old. At the suggestion of my sister Ann, I started writing in a journal, and have been a faithful writer ever since. I have fluxuated from writing daily, weekly, or monthly (during pregnancies), but since Cam has been born, I have something recorded from every day. Not that I'm writing every day however. I usually just take notes then write when I have time (like at work, during a ball game, in the car, during Relief Society- whatever it takes) I love going back and reading my old journals. I learn so much about myself and remember much that I've forgotten. I like to note the prices of things, and write every few months about each child individually. I have a list of my favorite things, and things I don't love. I keep a list of books I read on the last page of each journal- with the number of pages in the book so I can know how many pages I read per year. I encourage the kids to write in their journals, and they do so when told to, but not on their own- except for Kylee who kept a great journal during high school and until she got married. I hope she's still keeping a good record of her early married years. I also have journals for:
~what I do for exercise
~gifts given/received
~funny things the kids have said when they were little
~favorite quotes and thoughts
~the boys sports stats
I encourage anyone who is not a journal writer to consider getting a small journal and making an attempt! You won't regret it!

10 comments:

Stacie said...

I love your journal of things you love and don't love. I like to talk about it when we go on our girls shopping trip for christmas. I am VERY impressed on how long you have kept a journal. I am now motivated to start writing in my journal again.. I really need to be better at writing down the funny things Jaxon says.

Jord said...

Oh I need to repent! I was a great journaler in High School when my siblings would sneak in and read about the boys I was loving at the time, but have been a horrible writer in real life. My biggest dilemma- when to write? I am too tired at night, too groggy in the morning, and to busy during nap time to get to it. Any advice, journal queen?

Lee said...

jord- it is harder at your stage in life i must admit. i used to try and find time on Sundays. let me know how it goes! you too stace- the journal about kids sayings is my favorite thing- jaxon has said some really funny things- and believe me- you'll forget most of it if you don't record it!

Annie said...

I believe 'do you keep a journal' should be a temple interview question!!! I'm proud of you. I adore reading back over my life. Grandma Mayme got me started in 1978. When I read her diaries, I feel like she is alive again, as well as Dad.

Lindsey said...

I love having this blog as one journal, and then my personal journal for thoughts and feelings and finances and personal matters. I have also started the gifts given/recieved journal, it has come in soooo handy. Then at your suggestion I started Emma's "funny book" and all though there are only a few pages it is already priceless to me. My mom lets me read her journals and it is sooo facinating. Even Ryan can't put them down. Great post!

Lindsey said...

To Stacie and Jord~ I like to take Emma to the park or to McDonald's to play (gross germs, I know) and I catch up one week at a time. If I go over a week then I forget too much. My mom gave me a great tip of don't try catching up, that's exhausting, just pick up where you are that day.

Jessica said...

I too love to have this blog as a journal--did everyone know you can have it printed and bound in a book yearly?! Pretty exciting! I'm impressed with you, how priceless will those words be for your kids and grandkids one day!

Carol said...

I have always been impressed with your jornal writing. You have inspired me to not only post a comment, but to dust off my jornal and write again. I love all your different ideas of what to write about. PS, happy birthday!!

Carol said...

I do know how to spell journal

Lee said...

carol- you don't need to get me anything else for my BD- a post on my blog is present enough from you! is this your first comment??? thanks so much= it means more than you know :) let me hear how your journal writing goes!