Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Our back yard

I love our backyard, especially when our fruit trees are bearing the most delicious fruit! The only thing I wish was different is having a covered patio so we could eat outside more and not be sitting in the sun. I LOVE our swing (just off the patio) and adore laying out on it reading a good book.

This is our johnny/gold apple tree which is LOADED with apples every other year. We learned that if we weed the apples out early in the season, they'll bear every year and the apples will be bigger. Mike tried that this year, and did weed out about 300 apples, but still, there are probably a thousand apples on the tree! No kidding. One year I got ambitious and with Mom and David and my friend Janae's help, made about 70 quarts of applesauce. I still haven't recovered from that hellish day, and think that canned applesauce from the store tastes just as good. . . So I let it be known to family and friends that we have lots of apples to give away!

Our pear tree is loaded with lots of yummy pears every year. Some years I bottle them, other years I make pear/raspberry jam, we always eat a lot, and I give away a lot. Everyone is always happy to receive a bag since most people don't have pear trees in our neighborhood.





This is our garden that Mike works hard (well, sort of) at planting, watering and harvesting. We've already harvested all the beans and onions, that's why it doesn't look that big right now. We are still getting tomatoes and zuchinni. We give lots of those away too. Some years I bottle tomatoes or do salsa, but this year I'm not feeling it.


This is our apricot tree which has already produced tons of delicious apricots- the main portion of which we gave away! I did freeze some for smoothies as I wrote about in an earlier post.
We spend a lot of time together in our back yard jumping on the trampoline, playing beach volleyball, badminton, cooking out, playing catch, croquet, and other activities. It's awesome that none of our neighbors have barking dogs to disturb our fun (and sleep!)

6 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

We sure are loving the fruit you shared with us. Remember us next year too!

Stu and Alyssa said...

Jealous! I want some of that fruit. It makes me excited for orange season coming up!

Vonnie said...

A great back yard with multiple uses is a beautiful thing. Love the fruit trees!

Kylee said...

Our dog doesn't bark and bug our neighbors, fyi. We were lucky to get so many yummy fruit trees! I too wish there was a covered patio...

Jord said...

What a great yard! And I love that you have so much usable fruit. We have one grapefruit tree, but honestly one can only eat or juice so many grapefruit before the rest just rot on the tree.

Lindsey said...

I love your backyard too. Your whole home is just such a great environment for kids to grow up in. I must say one of my favorite aspects of your home is that swing. I would looove to go and read a book out on it. I also love your fruit, those apples are rather delicious. The pears aren't quite ready but I bet I'll enjoy them as well. Thanks so much!