Sunday, September 7, 2008

We love Football

My love for football started when I was in college and Dad would be watching a game and want me to watch with him. I never wanted to because I thought football was boring. I much preferred to watch baseball. Once he explained the rules to me, and I gave it a try, I was hooked. I loved attending games at Ricks and BYU. My three years at BYU was when Steve Young played. I loved attending the games with my friends. When Mike and I got married, it didn't take long to convert him to being a BYU football fan even though he was raised to be a Utah State Aggie. His love of football started when he was 8 and he started playing tackle football. In fact, it was because of his playing football that his mom and step-dad Tom met each other. You could say at age 8 he was a matchmaker! He played football all the way through his senior year, mostly as receiver. He played on an adult flag football team for several years after we were married. We have raised some football loving boys- the girls. . . not so much. So every fall, we all get very excited because we know our weeks will be full of football.
It starts on Thursday evening now with Jakes freshman game. So far his team is 2-0. He plays safety. It's great to go watch him play, and he's loving being on a high school team. (He's #2)
Saturdays are Cam's game day with him playing quarterback this year, a little receiver, and cornerback or safety. There's nothing funner than watching your kids play and have fun doing something they love, and practice hard at. Practices for both boys are 4-5 nights a week for 2 hours- starting three weeks before their first game and going through their last game. (Cam is #2 as well)

Friday nights are Logan High football for the boys and Mike. I went to all the games the years the girls were cheering, but now I look forward to an evening to myself! Mike has done the stats for the team for the past 10 years, and loves being down on the field right by all the action. It's just not the same for him watching from the stands. It's an added bonus that he gets himself and a guest in free to every game, including basketball.

Saturdays also mean college football- most importantly BYU. We always watch them play- usually that evening from a recording (and hope that we somehow don't hear the score before then, or that our recording doesn't end too soon. Sadly, both of those tragedies have happened. AHH) Mike still tries to be loyal to the Aggies by listening to some of their games on the radio. In this picture, we're posing in Cam's room in front of his great wall of mostly linebacker Cameron Jensen pictures. (notice Mike's USU hat--- he can't convert 100% to BYU)


The boys favorite NFL teams are the Patriots and the Rams, so occasionally they'll catch a Sunday game, but all three boys love watching Monday night football. We somehow suffer through the most boring days of the week, Tuesday and Wednesday, then it starts all over on Thursday! Go Grizz, Coogs, Aggies, Pats, and Rams!


8 comments:

Diane said...

It is great to be passionate about something in life. Football is a great family tradition you have. It is good that you all agree. My house is divided - some UofU :( and some BYU :). Good thing we have two TVs.

Jord said...

I do give you props for being a football loving auntie...you may actually be the only one I have! :)

Kylee said...

i like how i'm not in any of those pictures... I guess I wasn't as into it as all of you, even more so after I married Brody, but it's all good! I'll still come watch the boys.

Lee said...

sorry Ky! I wanted to have a picture of you cheering, but there weren't any on my computer. I was hoping you'd think that group cheering one could possibly be you since you can't really tell who is who!

Vonnie said...

Props to you and the Jensen family. You're a great football loving family. Go Jake and Cam. I hope they have fun playing this year. They are such darling boys! Can you say that about football boys????

Stacie said...

Wow thats a lot of FOOTBALL!!!

Lindsey said...

I love football too. Not quite like you do, but I love it for what it represents. It means that fall is here, and sweaters and hoodies. It's a fun activity to do as a family and something to do on a Friday night. I love all movies that are about football, Remember the Titans being my favorite. I also love BYU games, even when they're a blow out. That's one of my most favorite things in the whole wide world, going to a home BYU game.

Stacey said...

Family togetherness is what it's all about. Remember Griffin's comment when we were going on our trip to Thailand? If not I'll tell you later. It made me laugh. I can't believe we never have it on the TV!?!