Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Gone but not forgotten

My Dad died 25 years ago today. Ann organized a sweet get-together last night in Clarkston and invited his siblings, his kids and grandkids, mom, and her siblings. We visited, ate desserts (of course) and shared memories of Dad. It was so neat to hear others' memories and share my own. I was touched by everyone's thoughts. I shared that I loved how he would take the time to have fun with his family even though he was very busy with the farm, teaching school, selling insurance and church work. He would always play basketball with me- "Horse" being our favorite. My memory has it that I usually won. It was so fun to play volleyball with him, jump on the trampoline, and even work together. I loved taking him a quart of ice water out in the field as he was driving the tractor- knowing how much he appreciated it. I loved how called me "teen." He was so fun to go to the grocery store with. He would throw so many treats and goodies in the cart that Mom would usually have to take some out. He could always be counted on to stop at least once on the drive from Rupert to Logan for a treat. He frequently bought me a special gift for Christmas just from him. He was generous and always wanted us to have what we needed. When I was at Ricks and BYU, he would write to me to make sure I had enough money, and several times said he had put an extra $50 in my account "just in case." I am so saddened that Mike and my children never knew him. He was such a fun, energetic, generous, friendly, kind man. I miss and love him so much. I try and live my life so that he would be proud of me.

8 comments:

Joyce Anne said...

Lee...I also have extra fond memories of your Dad and loved him. He reminded me a lot of my Dad, although I am suprised that either of them lived through Mary Ann and my teenage years. I love your whole family.

Annie said...

Last night turned out so special, thanks to everyone's participation. My favorite part was listening to Dad's own voice while he gave a talk about patriotism. What a priceless tape that has turned out to be. I also loved Mom's words and sentiments. My heart goes out to her.

Jamie Jo said...

He was wonderful, wasn't he. I've been thinking about him all day. I dream about him all the time, and that somehow he is back and I'm always so thrilled to see him. I saw a different side of Grandma last night that I'm grateful to have seen.

Kylee said...

It sounds like it was a fun night! I'm sad I couldn't go..

Kylee said...

I started laughing so hard when I read your comment about Brody sitting in a lawn chair on the roof watching me do yard work!!! It might come true!

Vonnie said...

It sounds like you had a great event remembering dad. Truly our hero and always remembered and loved.

Lindsey said...

your tender words you shared about him really touched me. I love seeing your more vulnerable side :)

Stacey said...

Earl was such a class act. He was the epitome of a good man. Your comment about Mike and the kids not knowing him really took me back. For only being 8 years when he died I am so happy for the memories I do have of him and our times in Ruprict.