Friday, August 29, 2008

Game ideas

Since I slaved (and I use that term lightly) away in college for 5- yes, that's right- 5 years getting a degree in RECREATION MANAGEMENT, I thought it ought to be good for something in my everyday life, so years ago I compiled a list of game ideas. I've referred to it a lot throughout the years in hosting birthday parties, kids friends parties, family parties, ward parties, etc. Many times I've been asked for game ideas from friends and family who are having their own parties and need some ideas. So, at the suggestion of Jamie, I decided to do a post with some of my favorites:

**BRING ME THE. . . Form two teams (or more if you have enough people- each team should have at least 5 people) Have each team stand the same distance away from the leader. The leader calls for different items- ie a watch, cash, earring, car keys, lipstick, sock, etc. and the first team to run with the item and hand it to the leader gets one point. Game ends when one team reaches 5 (or whatever) points.

**DO YOU LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR (for 6-30 people) Have everyone sit in a circle with one person standing in the middle (no seat available for him) He approaches a person and says: "do you love your neighbor?" That person can either say yes or no. If they say no, then the two people on either side of him have to switch spots with the person in the middle trying to get one of their spots, leaving one person w/o a spot- then they're in the middle. If the person says yes, then they add "but I don't love people who. . . " and then fill in the blank with something like: "are wearing jeans, have blue eyes, have braces, are under 12 years old," etc- then whomever that statement applies to, has to get up and change seats with whomever else is switching seats, and the person in the middle tries to get a seat- leaving a new person to be in the middle.

**I HAVE NEVER (for 8-20 people) Everyone sits in the circle. Give everyone ten pieces of something like candy, dimes, pennies, whatever. Someone starts and says "I have never________" and fills in the blank with something they have never done that they think most other people have done. If you have done the thing named, you must throw one piece of candy (coin- whatever you've been given) into the middle of the circle. The next person goes, and so forth. Each time you have done what has been named, you must part with one candy (or whatever) Once your 10 items are gone, you're out of the game. The last person remaining with anything left collects everything in the middle of the circle.

**LETTER GAME (for 15-25 people) Form teams with 5 people to a team. Give each person a set of pre-made letters- one for the front of their body and one for the back. They can be attached with yarn.(which would go over the shoulder holding the two pieces of paper together) The letter on the front is a different letter from the back, so each team has 10 different letters. The letters are: *person 1 has O & E *person 2 has A & Y *person 3 has T & C *person 4 has B & P *person 5 has R & H. Each team has these same letters. Line the teams up with their letters on. The leader calls out a word, and the team must scramble to get their bodies assembled to spell out the word the fastest. Some people may be turned backwards or forwards depending on which letter needs to be used to spell the word. The first team to spell the word gets one point- Play to 10 points (or whatever.) The words to be spelled are: BOAR, RATE, BRAT, CROP, PART, CRAB, PACE, TAPE, BOAT, HATE, TRAP, BEAR, BERT, CRAP, TYPE, BEAT, REAP, HYPE, BART, CARE, PEAR, BARE, HEAP, RACE, CAPE, THEY, TEAR, TARP, THAT, HEAT. As these are only four letter words, one person will be left out of each word. They just stand to the side and wait for the next word.

** M&M GAME- (for 5-10 people- could do more than one team) Everyone sits in a circle or around a table. Each person has a paper cup and a straw. There is a bowl of plain M&M's in the middle of the table. Someone starts rolling two dice. If doubles or 7's are rolled, they take the bowl of M&M's, and as quickly as possible, start sucking one M&M at a time out of the bowl into their paper cup using their straw. The dice continues to be rolled around the circle. When the next person rolls doubles or a 7, they grab the bowl and start getting M&M's. Once the bowl of M&M's is gone, the person with the most M&M's in their paper cup wins!

**MASKING TAPE ON THE NOSE- (8-50 people) Everyone gets a piece of masking tape abt. 2" long. Fold it so that it is in a circle, with the sticky part facing out. Place the piece of tape on the edge of your nose. Each person approaches another person and they touch nose-to-nose letting the 2 pieces of tape touch each other. The tape will come off of one person and stick to the tape on the other person's nose. If the tape comes off yours, you're out. If you now have two pieces of tape on the edge of your nose, you go to someone else who either has one or more pieces on their nose, and touch noses. Continue until everyone has lost their tape and one person has a big glob of tape on the edge of their nose. That person is the winner!

**MUSICAL CANDY- (for 6-20 people) Everyone sits in a circle. A jar of candy is passed around while music is playing. When the music stops, whomever is holding the candy is out. The last person left gets the jar of candy.

**HAVE YOU EVER- (for 8-20 people) Everyone stands in a circle and marks the spot where they start with a shoe, purse- whatever. The leader asks "have you ever" questions (like: "have you ever had your wisdom teeth pulled, slept outside under the stars, thrown up on a train or plane, gotten a speeding ticket", etc) and if you can answer yes, move one spot to your left. You may be standing in the same spot as the person to your left if they didn't move. That's OK. The first person to move all the way around the circle back to their original spot first is the winner.

I hope this list is helpful to you and that my instructions make sense!

Party on!


11 comments:

Stacie said...

Thanks for your help the other day painting Jaxon's room! It will be a miracle if we ever get in there! I LOVE the game idea's! You are definately the gal to go to if you are in need of some games for a party or a gathering!! So thanks for this post I am sure i will refer to it often!! Oh I saw that you commented on my blog about possible helping on sat? I may take you up on that! Thanks Lee Lee

Meg said...

These ideas are fantastic!! I was telling Jamie this summer that I needed more fun game ideas. We love the game PICK she taught us. I also love the M&M game--can't wait to try the rest. By the way, I have loved your blog from the start--thanks for sharing!

Annie said...

Sissy, that took a lot of time to post! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. Keep some up your sleeve for Thanksgiving!

Lee said...

Margaret- thanks for my first comment from you! I love that you read my blog, and I love that Lauren loves Kylee's! That's so awesome that we can get to know each other better this way. By the way- does your family have a blog?

Meg said...

No I don't have a blog--yet. Lauren is ready for me to have one now--I'll definatley let you know when I do. I did just join facebook though :).

Kylee said...

That is a good idea! That's a ton of games... I'm glad I can always call you for ideas, or refer to this post. I've been learning a lot of games in my after school club job, but they are mostly for kids. I should write them down too, so I don't forget.

Jamie Jo said...

You are the game queen.

Vonnie said...

Great ideas Lee. Wow, your degree is really coming in handy, spreading recreation ideas far and wide. Way to be the game and cookie queen. I sent all these ideas to Andy as well. He asked for some good ideas to play with kids on Mongolia when they have a FHE. I'm sure he'll love them.

Jord said...

You are a great gamer Leemo and I will definitely use this list for future parties. Thanks for sharing!

Stacey said...

Just one more thing to add to your list of "things". I need to figure out my "thing" and do a post on it. It may have been cookies, but I had to stop making them (for reasons you already know about :>). I know I've called you for game ideas in the past. This post is golden Jerry!

Jord said...

So I am here referencing your list for our primary teacher development meeting. We need a good get to know you game and I think we'll try the "I have never" or the "have you ever" games. Thanks!!!