Sunday, April 6, 2008

conference weekend

I love conference weekend! It's so great to have a break from the normal routine. This conference for the first time ever, Mike kept two of his allotted tickets for us to attend the Saturday morning session. It was so
awesome to be there in person for the solemn assembly. The talks and music were so much more powerful being there in person. As we were deciding where to sit in our designated area, who should we see but Clair and Marilyn Griffin. So we sat by them and enjoyed chatting with them before conference began.


Kylee and Brody joined us for the morning session and the annual putting up of the trampoline afterwards. Can I just say how weird it is still to have a puppy (who isn't so small anymore) in my house and yard. But because we love the Hatch's and want them to keep coming over, I allow it :)


For the past 9 or 10 years, we've had a fun tradition of enjoying a picnic downstairs in the family room during the afternoon session of conference. We usually have most of the same items, but sometimes add different things.



This year the menu was: potato skins, crackers and beef dip, fresh fruit and dip, pigs in a blanket,
nachos, cheese and pickles, soft pretzels (made lovingly by jessica) and of course cookies. We set it all up on the ping-pong table and then munch throughout the session. It's so fun!


I was touched by so many of the talks, especially Elder Ballards talk on mothers, Pres. Uchtdorf and Pres. Monson's closing remarks. What were your favorites?

10 comments:

Vonnie said...

Congratulation on your blogspot, Lee. I think that many will read it and comment on it. I trust that it will all go well with you. As for the general conference, I enjoyed the talks of President Monson and President Uchtdorf, as well as those of Elders Christofferson and Ballard, the most. There are now 3 lawyers in the top 15 (Oaks, Cook, and Christofferson). Let's hear it for the lawyers.

RRomney

Vonnie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vonnie said...

Congratulation on your blogspot, Lee. I think that many will read it and comment on it. I trust that it will all go well with you. As for the general conference, I enjoyed the talks of President Monson and President Uchtdorf, as well as those of Elders Christofferson and Ballard, the most. There are now 3 lawyers in the top 15 (Oaks, Cook, and Christofferson). Let's hear it for the lawyers.

RRomney

Lee said...

Well Von you must feel very strongly about your comment to put it in 3 times! :)

Jessica said...

Nice blog mom! Good thing I was here to help you with it all! ;)

Stacey said...

Lee...your potluck puts me to shame. I'm on a healthy eating kick, much to the dismay of Todd and the kids. That is why I made cookies last night...so he could have a stash in the freezer. I was just asking Todd how one gets tickets to conference. I think we would make the trek up sometime if I knew we could get in. Whose dog is that?? The trampoline, what a hassle. Our's needs welding on one of the legs before someone breaks it even more.
I think I need to be better at the General Conference snackings to make it more fun for the kids. You are the queen of those types of traditions.

Lindsey said...

Those treats look delightful! That's a really good picture of you and Mike at conference. The others pictures of the rest of the family make me laugh, it's like the person taking the picture was truly invisible, those are some great candid shots :) My favorite talk was on "not lowering your standards to fit in." It escapes me right now who gave it, listening is kinda hard with a little Emma girl wanting to play flash cards the whole time, but what I did catch I really enjoyed. Thanks goodness for DVR and the Ensign to catch up.

Vonnie said...

Hi Lee,
My not so techno savy dear husband posted those comments three times. Bless his heart! He forgot his login ID and password, so he just uses mine. Whatever :) We enjoyed conference as well. I printed off the kids activity pack I emailed out to you all and did it myself during conference, taking notes on all the talks and noticing the ties of the 12 apostles. Such powerful messages. How wonderful that you were able to go with Mike. This year is was just the two of us watching. Wow, it's been awhile since that was the case, although we went to Highland for lunch and to watch the Sunday afternoon session with Ricky's parents. Loved, loved, loved the talks and the spiritual uplift and rededication to what matters in life.

Lee said...

Von- funny about Rick- i appreciate him reading! will he be a regular fan? that is crazy about it being just the two of you. . . i'm not loving that idea. linny- yes it was funny getting the kids to pretend like i wasn't taking a picture. don't think that was the first and only one i took- it just was the least dorky of everyone :) stacey- just ask your bishop about getting tickets. i know freda's sister from oregon came down for it and got hers from her stake pres. mike gets some as a bishop but has always given them away to less active kids in the past. i wouldn't take a chance on getting in w/o tickets though. so do you think my picnic lunch was healthy or not? that is kylee and brodys dog saloman. he often visits when they do. . . as far as dogs go, he's pretty fun and well behaved and k&b do a good job of controlling him. the trampoline is such a fun thing to do w/o for several months then put up in the spring. today it has snow on it- which is usually the case. . .

Stacey said...

I've never gotten 10 comments on mine! Granted 4 of them are from Vonnie. I'll give your treats a 6 on the healthy scale. Camdyn loves when I make "appetizers". It's so funny who she lights up when I say we're having those and how her tongue makes a thhh sound "appetitherthz" since her teeth are in a cross bite and her tongue catches in the spaces. She's definitely going to need braces! Good thing I will get to work on her. Kids are always worse for their parents.