Friday, April 4, 2008

What I'm known for

I can't believe I'm starting a blog!!! This is a big stretch for me, but it seems like I have more free time than ever before, so I thought this would be a good, productive way to occupy my time- and a fun way to interact with family and friends. Now to decide what to post first. I decided to go with something that I've been known for for over 14 years: The Queen Of Cookies. When we lived in Mesa, we had a neighbor named Cathy Wellington. We went to a party at her house one night, and I tasted the best chocolate chip cookies I had ever eaten. I asked her for the recipe, which she willingly gave me. I started making them, and when friends would ask where I got the recipe, and I told them from Cathy, they complained that when they had asked her for it, she had declined giving it saying it was a secret family recipe. So I felt quite honored that she would share it with me. The recipe took on an even greater significance 5 years later when Cathy and her unborn child were killed in an automobile accident. I have given out this recipe countless times, and baked these cookies hundreds of time. I almost always have some in my freezer for passerby to help themselves to. So for those of you who don't have the recipe, here it is:
Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
cream just until blended
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
mix
1 sm box instant vanilla pudding
3 c flour
1 t soda
1 t salt
1 t baking powder
Add semi sweet cc's and vanilla chips OR peanut butter chips
Bake 350 for 11-12 minutes.
I like them best cooked on a baking stone. I always double the recipe and always keep them in the freezer so they'll stay fresh. Also, when doubling them, I usually use 1 cup butter and 1 cup margarine.

Let me hear how they turn out if you've never baked them before.







11 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh yeah! I'm so excited for you to join the blogging world. You'll never be able to go back to a simple "commenter." Thanks for the cookie recipe, I however don't make cookies. I think it's more likely that Emma will make these cookies before I do. But thanks for the history report, now when you send me home with cookies they will have more meaning.

Annie said...

Kid, imagine my SHOCK and pleasure when I got your e=mail just now stating your new endeavor. You are going to be dreaming up posts in your sleep. We'll probably never talk on the phone now!!

Jord said...

Props to you Lee! I totally understand your fear but am sure you'll come to love the blog. And yes, those cookies are the best ever and I'm so glad to know where they came from. Even though I've made them, your's are definitely the best!

Stacey said...

I remember hearing that story about a woman and baby killed from a large truck that wasn't braking hard enough....was that your friend? So sad. I just made pudding cookies tonight with oatmeal. I am a milk choc.chip fan. How is it that Linny doesn't make cookies? That is insanity. You introduced me to the wonders of how yummy soft cookies can be right out of the freezer. In fact I take mine right out of the oven and put one in the freezer for 10 min before I eat it!! Unlike many of the bloggers out there, I am not obsessed about being on my computer, so I don't feel like it's overtaking my life and time. Are you planning on using this as a journal or a fun way to communicate? As you can see this comment is coming in place of an email. Tell Carol to join the bandwagaon!

Jamie Jo said...

I was eating cookie dough as I sat down to read your new blog. Your pics are too cute. How did you get such a fun opening page? I need Linny to make my blog cuter.

SaraPete said...

Lee, I'm so impressed w/ your blog!! After seeing those cookies, I know what I'm making for dessert tonight!!

Jessica said...

Hooray! I am excited to see that you started a blog, but even more excited to keep better in touch with your family and learn more about you personally. I am very impressed with your adorable layout as well! I can't wait to make these cookies! oo maybe one day you can post the molasses cookie recipe too!

Lee said...

thanks for the kind words of support- that will be what i love the most about my blog i'm sure. yes, stacey- that was my friend that got hit by the truck. her husband got a big settlement and moved to logan with their 4 kids. i see him occassionally. lindsey needs to take the credit for the cute opening page- sara, how did your cookies turn out? I will post my grandma mayme's famous molassas cookies in the near future- along with other favorites :)

Vonnie said...

Lee: Congrats on your new blog. We wish you great success! RRomney

Kylee said...

Hey mom. I'm impressed with your blog! Now maybe you will become more knowledgeable with how the computer works in other areas too! This is a good thing for you! Lindsey, good job with the layout, I like! Maybe when I graduate I'll start a blog, but I'm too busy right now, it looks like fun though.

Lee said...

thanks for the comment ky and words of encouragement:) yes, it will be a miracle (as you know) if i become better on the computer. but then what favors can i ask of you then???